This chocolate banana loaf cake recipe is the perfect treat for chocolate lovers. You only need one bowl, a spatula and your ingredients to get going!
This chocolate banana loaf cake was adapted from a banana cake recipe I have been using for AGES. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got the recipe from but one thing I know is that it has never let me down.
I decided to adapt the recipe to create a chocolate version and the result was this moist, delicious subtle banana flavoured cake.
Tips for Success: Chocolate Banana Loaf Cake Recipe
- There are a number of pointers to bear in mind with this chocolate banana cake recipe.
- This cake would bake in a 6 cup or 8 cup loaf pan as well as a 7-inch square pan.
- Don’t over mix your batter and don’t over bake your batter.
- Mix your batter with a spatula until all the ingredients are combined and bake until the skewer inserted comes out moist (that is, you would see a few crumbs stick on the skewer)
- It is a good idea to bake your loaf a day ahead of the time you’d need it. This allows the flavors to settle and creates a cake that is moister.
- For extra decadence, I recommend sprinkling some chocolate chips on your batter before baking. You won’t regret it.
A Note about the bananas
- Weigh your bananas once they are overripe and not the other way around.
- I used four bananas and I got a subtle hint of banana flavour in my cake. If you feel four bananas is not enough, try adding one more banana to the batter. I haven’t tried this but if you do, please let me know in the comments section.
- Your bananas should be overripe because overripe bananas produce a cake with a good banana flavour and a tender and moister texture.
- If your bananas are not ripe and you need to bake immediately, pierce your bananas with a fork and pop into the oven at 200 degrees and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes. The bananas would be black just like normal overripe bananas. I call this ‘force ripening”
If you need any help or have any questions about this recipe, please let me know and I would be happy to help out.
I hope you try this recipe and if you do, share your creation with me on Instagram by using the #yenumcakery or tagging me directly. Would love to see your cake!
Happy Caking and don’t forget to share this recipe with others using the buttons below 🙂
Chocolate and Banana Cake
- A loaf pan
- 2 large eggs
- 3- 4 (320 grams) large overripe bananas mashed
- ½ Cup (96 grams) vegetable oil
- ¼ Cup (50 grams) milk room temperature
- 1½ Cups (190 grams) flour sifted
- ¼ Cup (20 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ Cup (100 grams) dark brown sugar
- ½ Cup (100 grams) white sugar
- ¾ Cup (120 grams) dark chocolate chips
- Grease your loaf pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180°c/350°f.
- In a bowl or jug, whisk together your wet ingredients: banana, oil, eggs and milk.
- In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and sugars until combined.
- Add your whisked wet ingredients into your dry ingredient mixture and mix thoroughly with a whisk or spatula until you get a smooth batter. Your batter would be on the thick side.
- Pour your batter into your pan and sprinkle your chocolate chunks/chips on top of your batter.
- Bake in your oven for 40- 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing from the pan and allowing to cool completely.