This one layer peanut butter and chocolate cake recipe is THE best! It is super easy to make and you most likely have the ingredients in your kitchen cupboard. There is a bonus too: you only need on cake tin.
I collect loads of cake recipes in addition to creating and developing them. I have DOZENS of cake recipes- in my recipe book, bookmarked on my browser and saved on my phone. Let’s say, I am surrounded by cake recipes.
This peanut butter and chocolate cake recipe is a combination of two recipes in my collection. The peanut butter cake is from Kimberly at “The Daring Gourmet” and the Chocolate Frosting is from Marie at “Sugar Salt Magic” I made some little adjustments to both recipes to suit my preferences but both recipes are still true to the original.
So if you have some peanut butter laying around, this is the recipe for you.
Tips for success: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Check your peanut butter ingredients. You may need to adjust the salt and/or sugar in the recipe depending on the ingredients in your peanut butter. The peanut butter I used had both salt and sugar in it and I used 1/4 tsp salt and 200g brown sugar. If your peanut butter has no salt and/or sugar, you will need to adjust accordingly.
- Bake until a skewer inserted comes out with MOIST crumbs. If your skewer inserted comes out dry, you have over-baked the cake and it will be dry.
- This cake can be baked in two six inch pans or one nine-inch springform pan. If you are using a different pan for this recipe, you will have to adjust your cooking time.
- I haven’t tried it, but I also know 13×9 inch pan would work fine for this recipe as well.
- Don’t over mix your cake batter- Mix your ingredients until combined.
- For the frosting, use at least 50% chocolate.
- You can substitute buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 250ml milk and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before using.
- All your cake ingredients should be at room temperature. This ensures the cake bakes evenly and rises properly.
One Layer Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Deep 8 inch round pan
For the Cake
- 1½ cup (190 grams) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup (83 ml) vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup (85 grams) peanut butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk room temperature
For the Frosting
- ⅓ cup (85 grams) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup (100 grams) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder dutch process or natural
- 1 tbsp milk
- 50 grams dark chocolate melted and cooled
- Crushed peanuts and chocolate chunks to decorate optional
Make the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 180°c/350°f and line a deep round 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a spatula and set aside.
- In a separate bowl with a hand mixer or using a stand mixer, mix together your oil, sugar and peanut butter for about one minute or until smooth.
- Add your eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Add your flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, mixing until combined after each addition. Remember not to over mix your batter.
- Pour your batter into your prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out with MOIST crumbs.
- Allow your cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely.
Make the Frosting
- In a bowl with a hand mixer or using a stand mixer, beat your sugar and butter for 2 minutes.
- Add your cocoa powder, and mix on low speed until incorporated
- Add your milk and melted chocolate.
- Beat your frosting for 5 minutes on medium- high until smooth.
- Once you cake has cooled, spread the frosting on top and sprinkle peanuts and chocolate chunks to decorate.